Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Grateful Post 1 - Dr. Murayama and PCAM Team

I think it would be nice if, each week, I give a shout-out to someone or something I'm grateful for. There will likely be plenty of issues, complaints and difficulties mentioned in other posts, especially as I start experiencing all sorts of new foods and situations and continue changing.

Why Sundays? It's a chance to reflect on the positive before I dive back into the frenzy of the work week, plus there's a high probability that I'll have the time to write something! So, for my inaugural Sunday Grateful Post, I'd like to give thanks for my surgeon and his team at Perelman. In fact, for my 2 week post-op visit, I wrote them a card to express these sentiments. Below is a copy of what I wrote:

"Dear Dr. Murayama and his team at PCAM,

Since early August, I have been in and out of these offices and various other departments numerous times to qualify for and prepare for RNY surgery. Two weeks ago on 12/20/12, I went under the knife.

Admittedly, the biggest hurdle to overcome was mine alone - deciding to go through with surgery. However, I truly believe I could not have gotten through everything without the assistance and support that each one of you have provided along the way. From kind and patient assistance with making sure all my appointments were properly lined up, to answering every single tiny question and "what if" scenario that I had, to giving me a bit of a reality check and tough love when needed - this, coupled with the support from my family, friends, and online community, enabled me to arrive at my surgery date feeling absolutely prepared.

As I anticipated, the journey and "big day" found me a bit overwhelmed, though not at all in the way I expected. Instead of feeling fearful, I felt hopeful. Where I expected to find anxiety, I found reassurance. Rather than dejection, encouragement. And in place of apprehension, courage. I credit your work and the amazing program you have in place with the wonderful successes that I have already started to experience.

Here's to 2013 - the beginning of the rest of my life, and the start of really living!

With greatest appreciation,
Rachel"

No comments:

Post a Comment